Thursday, November 12, 2009

Wisdom

My Bible study group has just embarked on a study of I Corinthians, and we are using Max Lucado's Life Lessons as the secondary text. As a woman who as a child used to sit on her bedroom floor for hours reading and memorizing trivia and who has spent 80% of her life in school, I have been particularly challenged by what Paul has to say about worldly wisdom.

"...God has made the wisdom of the world foolish...God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and He chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose what the world thinks is unimportant and what the world looks down on and thinks is nothing in order to destroy what the world thinks is important. God did this so that no one can brag in His presence." I Cor. 1:20b, 27-29

The world places wisdom on a pedestal along with wealth, power, beauty, and ability. We admire those people who "know a lot" and aspire to be smarter so that people will admire us too. In other cultures, the wise--usually associated with the elderly--are revered; their advice is sought and followed because they are believed to have experienced life and learned valuable lessons from it. I know I have a few "wise" friends that I consult on a regular basis, namely my mom and dad (not that they're "elderly"). However, while I don't think there is anything wrong with consulting others for counsel, it is important to consider who you are consulting and whether or not that person's values align with yours. God wants us to consult Him first and foremost, and His word makes it clear that He wants us to ask Him for spiritual wisdom.

"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him." James 1:5

Right now I feel compelled to ask God for wisdom to make decisions that will put His wisdom--the wisdom that is eternal, without limit, and without error--first and foremost in my life. This request is especially pertinent right now as I consider returning to school and acquiring more "worldly" wisdom. In particular, I am concerned about how this decision might affect my quest for God's perfect wisdom. I ask for your prayers and Godly counsel.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Keri- As you grapple with such difficult choices, keep the Apostle Paul's words in mind: "I have fought a good fight. I have finished my course. I have kept the faith." I interpret this verse, in context, to mean neither the attainment of a prize nor the humble admission of defeat...not a "result" but a "process"-- a prayerful cry for strength and endurance to pursue whatever path God should lay upon our hearts. As Christians, the race is already run; our story is already written. Victory is certain and is available to all who place their confidence and courage in Him as the ultimate keeper of our destiny and purpose in life ...Happiness is found in daily learning to depend upon our Heavenly Father as the source of our daily sustenance. Know that you are supported in whatever choice you make and that you don't have to make that choice alone. You have family and friends who love you and believe in you and want for you what you most desire...So be still and know that He is God, and I will pray that no matter what course you take, you will be blessed with the patience, stamina, and wisdom to pursue it with all your heart. With Love in Christ,
    Cristy :)

    ReplyDelete