Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Daddy



"The Tales of the Tidwells" would not exist without the head of our home, Daniel or "Da-Da," as Kate refers to him. Still, sadly, most of my posts are about Kate or myself. Poor Daniel is generally left out. Thus, this post is devoted exclusively to him.

Daniel is a one-of-a-kind individual: the office cut-up, the family harrasser, the annoying little brother who refuses to grow up and act his age. Maybe he has Peter Pan syndrome or maybe he just simply derives pleasure from antagonizing others.



If he doesn't pick on you, Daniel doesn't care about you, and Daniel cares about everyone. His generosity and love are not immediately obvious because of his humility and the way in which he shows love through pestering, but this unique man has taught me immensely about giving selflessly of time, energy, and money and about not taking life so seriously. He is an extraordinary example for his young daughter and a stress-reliever for his intense wife.

Nearly every Saturday for the past several months Daniel has helped his dad and brother build a house for Granny Ann, Daniel's grandmother. Granny Ann, who has been living in an assisted living facility for the past few years, will be moving into her new house at the end of the year, and she is very blessed because the house is beautiful! Despite working all week, Daniel spends nearly all day Saturday working on this house. I personally have gotten frustrated because Daniel isn't home, but he is serving his family as he should be.

That leads me to another quality I admire in Daniel and that provides a good example for Kate: Daniel respects his parents, even when he is at odds with them, and is loyal to his family. Family--ours, his, and mine--come first to him. Still, he has to pick on his nieces, nephew, and sister-in-law Emily to show he loves them, and if harrassment is any indicator of his love, then I would say he is hopelessly devoted to them and us.



Daniel works hard for us and for others, without grumbling or complaining, because of his love. He sacrifices for us, for his family, because that is just the kind of person he is.

3 comments:

  1. My Thoughts on Daniel:
    I have come to realize through some really tense moments in my life over the past few weeks/months/years that best friends are only as cool as the support system they got behind them. The reason I've always loved Daniel is that he selflessly allows his wife and daughter to have their time with me without ever interfering or making us feel smothered. I can obviously see that he's hard-working and provides for his family faithfully and unconditionally. He's incredibly laid back and low key, and a personality like that is soooo incredibly refreshing when you're daily emerged in stresses associated with school. I spend quite a bit of time with Keri, and you never really know he's around, actually. Occasionally he calls on the cell phone while we're out for coffee or dinner and says something dumb, to which neither Keri or I acknowledge or respond to, and then we promptly go right on with our conversation! But when he is there, he usually cooks for me and hangs out with me...and picks on me, such as when I arrived thirty minutes late in a state of hysteria for the birthday party cause I overslept, and he wanted to know if I brought the ice cream. STUPID IDIOT! He could've still offered some chicken salad, but I guess he thought I didn't deserve it. However, if I balance that out with the time he bought me steak and spaghetti at Demos's (let me know when you want to do it again, Daniel- I know feeding the four of us is expensive, so how about just you and I will go??!!), cooked out for me a couple times on the grill, and thanked me at the wedding for getting rid of Keri on Thurs. nights at o'Charley's all those years...then I think he's pretty darn cool. He could've done other stuff, but that all I remember right now. Buh-Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and one more thing is...I LOVE the added perspective that Daniel adds to the page. Now THIS is what I call "The Tales of the [whole] Tidwell Bunch!" I love you all three. I really appreciate you doing up my laundry. I'm so very sorry it took so long, but it saved me so much money and got the mountains of clothes off the floor before the babies arrive tomorrow night. And you don't know how much I appreciate the (delicious!) birthday cake, which gave me a little piece of home this Thanksgiving even though I'll be away from my parents. In spite of everything, when I sit down to ask the blessing on Thursday, I'll have soooooooo much to be thankful for and the three of you and your extended families will be numbered in the blessings I count because of the love, support, and generosity you have shown to me so many years. May God Bless your famly on Thanksgiving (and always). love,
    Cristy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Keri- I tried to dig up your gmail account, but I couldn't find it. It's been a while since I've emailed you, I guess. Anyway, my blog address is:
    thisisourstory-thehalls.blogspot.com
    I'll call you Thurs. night or Fri morning.
    Cristy :)

    ReplyDelete