Monday, October 12, 2009

Baby Steps

When Kate was first born, I anticipated her first real smile. When she was 3 months old, I couldn't wait until she could sit up by herself. As she has grown, Kate has gone through all the normal baby stages and each has been an amazing phenomenon to watch. People tell me ALL the time, "Just wait until she's crawling! Then, you'll be running everywhere." And when she started scooting and crawling around 5 months, I was fascinated by how she figured it out. For a while, I thought I was going to have to teach her and wasn't sure how to do that, but just as she naturally learned how to smile, sit up, and reach, Kate also knew, as if by instinct, how to move around. And, yes, I have had to run to catch her numerous times but I don't mind.

At 11 months Kate has mastered crawling and moves so rapidly that I can hardly keep up with her at times. Now, just before her first birthday, she has entered into a new phase of development: She is walking! Of course, like most babies, she cruised around the coffee table and from chair to couch to cabinet to table but always with the utmost caution, fearful of falling, as if the distance from bottom to ground was of Mount Everest heights. This weekend, though, my Cowardly Lion has received the Wizard's gift and has been taking steps on her own. Daniel and I have turned off the TV to watch our little one, which is actually much more entertaining because her baby steps ususally end with a belly flop to the floor. Wipeout! Still, she is walking! And I love it! At times I become frustrated and think how I can't wait until Kate does this or that, but really I need to be enjoying the precious few moments I have with my baby because they are so fleeting. Soon Kate will be running and riding a tricycle and then playing ball and who knows what else. She won't want to curl up in Mommy's arms and sleep. Right now I need to cherish this time with my baby girl. And as I say this, Kate is going through all the cards that she has pulled out of my wallet--her favorite quiet pastime and Mommy's least favorite chore to clean up. Gotta run!

1 comment:

  1. I love it. I have definitely learned....especially with two....how fleeting those moments are. Even tonight as I tried with much difficulty for an hour to get Caleb to sleep, I kept reminding myself to love this moment....that he will actually fall asleep in my arms....for it will soon pass. I have also learned that one hard phase, just moves to another hard phase.....so to not wish away the difficult times either. I love getting to read about Kate! She is so beautiful....just like her mommy!

    ReplyDelete