Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Very Merry Christmas

Last year Kate was too young to enjoy Christmas. And while this year she still didn't truly grasp what was going on, she did appear interested in at least a few things about Christmas that I too find important:

She loved eating Christmas cookies (sugar cookies rolled out and cut into snowmen, candy canes and the like and frosted with red and green icing). Here she looks like she has a big slimy green booger sliding down her nose. Gross!



She also enjoyed tearing open the packages with Daddy's help. Most people who know me well know that I prefer wrapped gifts to bagged ones because I love the thrill of ripping open the paper. Guess I'm a kid at heart, too!



Kate hit the motherlode with gifts this year...not really from Daddy and Mommy as much as from grandparents and great-grandparents. Fortunately for us, she did get a lot of much-needed clothing and some great little books, CDs and puzzles.



But, most importantly, Kate had a blast with all of her relatives, especially her cousins and grandparents. Here she is sitting in her cousin Zach's new dunebuggie while Kaileigh keeps everyone in line.




This Christmas was so much fun, and I know as Kate grows older, future Christmases will be even more enjoyable. It's amazing how your whole way of thinking about Christmas changes when you have kids. Even as a young adult, I eagerly anticipated waking up on Christmas morning to see what "Santa" had brought. Now, as a parent myself, I (and Daniel) want to emphasize to Kate the value of the immaterial (family, friends, love and hope) and downplay the material (presents) to teach our children the true meaning of Christmas.

I pray you had a blessed Christmas and that 2010 is a wonderful year for you and your families!

No comments:

Post a Comment