School has already started here in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. For the past few weeks, I have nostalgically flipped through ads for school supplies: notebooks, pens, highlighters, paper clips and post-its beckon to be purchased in anticipation of a new school year. Alas, though, I am not to be a student this semester. Yes, I know; I'm a nerd.
MTSU officially starts next week, and my friends and colleagues are in orientation this week, preparing the newest TAs (teaching assistants) for their roles as writing center tutors, research assistants, and instructors. When I was required to attend and even lead orientation in the past, I was not too thrilled to spend the last remaining week of freedom before classes started cooped up in a seminar room discussing plagiarism and how to use WebCt, but now that I am no longer part of the drama, I must say I miss it. There's something about the beginning of a new school year that invigorates me. Perhaps it's the buying of new pens and paper or going to the bookstore and purchasing my books or maybe it's meeting my new professors and students, or perhaps it's the promise of a new start, fresh beginnings, like the New Year. I think it's all of the above.
Even though I won't be starting back to school this semester, I do feel the excitement. I have even purchased some new notebooks and pencils and made some goals for myself, namely to write some every day and to continue reading for my exam, as a way to feel connected with what I used to be a part of. When I do return to school in the spring (Lord willing!), I will once again feel this euphoria of a new year and a new start. Call me a nerd all you want but I can't wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment