Saturday, April 18, 2009

Some thoughts...

Today, Kate and I went down to visit Gram Gram, Papa, and Mema Garner while Daddy went to work on his Granny's new house and shoot skeet with some buddies. Gram Gram has rocked Kate to sleep, and I have the unusual luxury of time to myself to read and write, my two favorite pastimes.

Life as a new mom is challenging, adventurous, and fun! Each day brings with it exciting new discoveries. One challenge for me is having to learn to be flexible in my plans. I may want to go for a walk at the park, but Kate may need to take an extra long nap instead. My house is usually a mess, but it's either clean or play with Kate and I know which I would rather do. That isn't to say I don't ever do any housework. Each morning I make a list of my goals for the day (i.e., household chores, errands, dinner plans) and highlight or star those goals that I really need to accomplish that day, knowing that the others may have to wait until the next day or the next. But Kate and I have to get out of the house and go somewhere everyday even if it's just to the park to walk. We cannot be cooped up in a house all day!

When I think about where I was and what I was doing a year ago, even two years ago, I am amazed at how completely my life has changed in such a short period of time. Last April I was three months pregnant and finishing my third semester of doctoral work at MTSU. Two years ago Daniel and I were preparing for our wedding day and looking forward to traveling in Europe on our honeymoon. Time flies! Now I think about where we as a family will be and what we will be doing next year at this time, and I am excited at the possibilities because they are so many. God has truly blessed us!

No comments:

Post a Comment