Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"...[A]s for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" (Joshua 24:15)

One of my primary agenda at the moment is to create a preliminary set of goals for our family. I got this idea from an excellent book my sister-in-law Jen recommended called A Mother's Heart by Jean Fleming. My prayerful aim is that Daniel and I become Godly parents who put the Lord first, each other second, and our children next.

As you may or may not know I, like my father, am a listmaker. I have lists on sticky notes on the coffee table, in my diaper bag, and throughout the countless books on my shelves. So, as I think of a great new goal for our family, I write it down. After scrummaging around I think I have found at least two of those post-it notes, so here is my preliminary list of aims for the Tidwell household:
  • That we grow together as a family in love and in respect for one another
  • That Christ's presence is felt in our home
  • That our children obey God and His Word so that their salvation is assured
  • That our children develop Christlike character and conduct and that as parents we are appropriate examples for them
  • That we are a family of servants--In order to further God's kingdom as He commands, we must serve others, just as Christ came not to be served but to serve (Matthew 20:28).
  • That our home be a haven of rest--a sanctuary--from the world where there is an atmosphere of love, peace, and security
  • That we stimulate curiosity and a love of learning in our children
  • That our children have a sense of purpose, good judgment, and self-respect as well as an ability to take responsibility for their actions, to forgive, to be generous and loyal, and to laugh at themselves

In Proverbs 20:21, we read: "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." My prayer is that these plans for our family are in line with the Lord's purpose, but if they are not, they will be amended.

No comments:

Post a Comment